A terrace board is chosen because it is strong and durable. But the main criterion is the care of the terrace. After all, no one wants to spend a lot of time washing and cleaning, polishing and varnishing his terrace every season.
Therefore, a composite today remains the most popular material for terraces.
Why is it so easy to care for a composite?
A terrace board is also called innovative wood. Since its base contains a lion’s share of hardwood flour (60%). But pure HDPE and special stabilizers that are a part of the board contents make it ultra-strong. It repels dirt, does not crack or dry up, and is not afraid of mold or bugs.
The longer you use your deck, the more likely it is that drinks will get spilled on it, food gets dropped or scratches appear. In winter, snow will have to be swept off the terrace and ice removed.
Let's take a closer look at the options how to clean and care for your composite terrace
If you have a high pressure washer, it will help to clean the terrace quickly with a large pressure of water. But even if you don’t have it, do not get desperate, the board can also be cleaned with an ordinary household kit.
You will need:
- brush of medium hardness (never use brushes with metal bristles);
- any detergent (without active chemical elements);
- container with warm water
How to clean a terrace?
- Remove furniture and unnecessary things from the terrace to clean it as quickly as possible.
- First, sweep away all debris, dirt and leaves with a broom or brush.
- Rinse the terrace first with warm water.
- Go over the surface with a mixture of water and detergent using a brush. Don’t be afraid to use a little force to thoroughly wash away any remaining dirt and dust.
- Rinse the deck with water again to remove any remaining detergent.
After that, your terrace will look perfect, you can return the furniture back to its place and enjoy nature and fresh air again.
If stains remain on the terrace after washing, what should I do?
Of course, stains can remain on the terrace, which, in rare cases, do not wash off easily.
In such situation, contact Woodplast managers, they will always recommend special, stronger cleaners particularly for cleaning a Bruggan terrace.
We also don’t recommend to experiment with detergents to avoid damaging the terrace. Doing so, you will firstly spoil your mood, and secondly, your terrace will no longer be covered by the manufacturer’s warranty.
A terrace with lots of rubbish on it.
It is quite often when a favorite terrace is located in the woods, surrounded by trees. Therefore, it is normal that it will have a lot of leaves or needles on it.
Try to sweep the terrace at least once a week so that debris does not clog in the gaps between the boards and mold does not form on the terrace in terms of high humidity.
If debris does clog up in the gaps and it is not washed off in a usual way, then you should try to use a high-pressure washer (the easiest option is to rent one).
Mold. Can it appear on a composite terrace?
Of course, it can. But unlike a wooden terrace board, which can be destroyed by this mold, it will simply not look aesthetic on a composite. As we have already explained above, special additives and a polymer prevent the decking board from being destroyed by a mold.
To get rid of mold, simply wash your board with soap and water.
How to remove serious stains or scratches?
A spilled glass of red wine or a cup of coffee. A drawing with a marker or vegetable oil stain.
If you have a full-bodied Bruggan Multicolor board on your terrace, such “difficult” stains are not a problem for you.
The fact is that this composite is recoverable, because Multicolor has a wood pattern throughout the entire thickness of the board.
To remove a stain, you will need a piece of sandpaper and a dry cloth.
First, carefully go over the surface with a sandpaper, removing a thin layer of composite. After that, wipe the terrace with a dry cloth or rinse with normal water.
In winter, taking care of the terrace is as easy as in any other season.
But still there are some important tips to know:
- in order to clean the snow off, use a broom or a shovel made of polymer. Never use brushes and shovels with metal tips;
- if the terrace is icy, do not water it with warm water or “defrosting” solutions. This can severely damage the composite;
- you shouldn’t also clean the terrace with a snowblower;
- do not use rock salt or sand mixtures to remove ice from the terrace. There can remain very bad marks.
And the most important thing for any terrace cleaning options: do not use chemically active substances. This can destroy the composite and void your deck warranty.
If you still have a problem with stains, it is better to contact Woodplast managers for help, we are always ready to advise the best for your terrace.